Custom Downrigger Rods
Designed for the Great Lakes, Built for your boat!
Header Content Region
Insert text, image or banner ads here, or just delete this text and leave this area blank!
- Suppliesforguys also does fishing rod repairs and fishing rod rejuvenations.
- Fishing in Western New York and need bait and tackle? Go to Capt. Bob's (716) 407-3021
- For a great angling experience contact Anglingaddictguide.com (716) 316-0496
- For Reel Repair and Maintenence, New York Reel Repair (716) 400-9258
- You can now find us by typing SFGCUSTOMFISHINGRODS into you browser
If you are from the Western New York area, check in here to see what going on in the local fishing scene. If you have an article or information that you think may be valuable to our visitors, email it to us for consideration.
Suppliesforguys is proud to offer this space for your organization to promote your fund raising or charity event. Email us with your complete information and we will consider including it.
Search our Site
Custom Downrigger Rods
Some of the greatest inland fishing for trout, salmon, walleye and bass can be found on the majestic Great Lakes. The lakes combined, cover 94,250 square miles, containing 21% of the Earth's fresh water supply and meander through Canada and North America with approximately 11,000 miles of shoreline... they are truly a wonder of the earth.
That's awesome, but with an average depth, relative to size, of the 5 lakes at an impressive 264 feet how do you fish it? Well you could fish shallow ( duh : ) or, gear up and go after the big fish that prowl the depths.
The "Scotty set up" was developed by Canadians Charlie White and Blayney Scott in the 1970's. They developed this set up to get down to fish where the fish were feeding . And no surprise the system first was used in the Great Lakes. For a brief description of the main components of a downrigger click here.
Used with the downrigger is a specialized fishing rod... and that's where SFG Custom Fishing Rods comes in.
We are continually looking for ways to improve what is already existing as well as stepping outside the box and developing new combinations. We are fortunate to have a Great Lakes Captain and Salmon River Guide, Bob Mallory as a consultant. Bob offers 20+ years of fishing experience to the shop as well as his professional career as a senior Phd for a major aerospace contractor. With Bob's knowledge and experience and our passion to build custom fishing rods, we have developed what we feel is a winning combination.
We are proud to offer the first of many custom downrigger rods below.
Should you have a custom downrigger rod design you want built, complete our contact form and we will get in touch with you to talk about a possible build...no hype, no pressure, no kidding!
Yours truly with an eating size steelhead caught late summer of 2013. Just over my right shoulder is a downrigger rod SFG Custom Fishing Rods built for Capt. Bob Mallory of Angling Addict Guide Service.
The rod features a 7' one piece MHX med-heavy blank, Fuji Alconite guides and heavy-duty guide seat and a black EVA foam handle. It's hard to see in the picture but we whirled the first 4 guides to transfer the line from the top of the blank to the natural fighting position on the bottom of the blank or the side facing the water.
Key specifications of the rod:
- 7' rod makes for easy on-board stowage
- 1pc construction eliminates the need to "twist" the top section on 2pc rods back into alignment. The guides and the 1 pc construction both aid in this.
- Whirled guides eliminate line hang-up when setting out planer board rods. With no guides on the top of the blank the line slides right over the rod for much easier line control
- Static load guide placement allows maximum efficiency of the blank and line to work in concert, dividing the line load evenly across all the guides. This also helps the rod to recover quicker when a fishing running from the boat suddenly turns and charges the boat.
Select your products
7'-10" Med. 1pc Downrigger Rod
8'-10" Med-Hvy 2pc Downrigger Rod
copy new product table here